So you’ve got an amazing vinyl collection – congratulations! Make sure you know these expert tips for maintaining its quality for great listening for years to come.
- When handling a record, never touch the vinyl surface with your fingers. Your fingers contain oils that can damage the vinyl. Always hold the record by its edges and the label.
- Use an antistatic device on your records before and after cleaning them. This will neutralize your record surface and allow your cleaning process to be more effective.
- Clean both new and used records before playing them on your turntable. Clean records will sound better, and will preserve the life of both your records and your stylus.
- Clean your stylus before and after playing a record. This will preserve the life of your stylus, and prevent the stylus from recontaminating and/or damaging your records.
- Place your clean record in a brand new anti-static sleeve. I recommend Nitty Gritty sleeves.
- Store your records vertically, and never lay them down on top of each other. This will help prevent your records from warping. Playing warped records can cause further damage to your records’ grooves, and potentially damage your stylus. We can flatten your warped records using Furutech’s DF-2 Vinyl Flattener.
- Place your albums in outer sleeves to protect the record jacket from damage.
- Store your records in a place where they’ll be kept away from the heat and direct light. In fact, a comfortable room temperature of 65 to 70 degrees is ideal. Humidity can also harm your vinyl, so try to keep the humidity level between 45 and 50 percent.
Need more advice? Contact us today for an expert consultation.